Anyone who has seen my changing table or has watched me change a diaper may have noticed that I don’t use a cream. Instead, I have a bottle full of yellow oil. So what is the magic skin protector? Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil!
Yep, that’s it! I have always been one to stray away from using anything with chemicals if I can avoid it.
My midwife is the one who turned me on to it when my son was born. My son is 2 months old now and has never had a diaper rash and his skin stays smooth and soft.
Not only is it chemical free, which makes this momma very happy, but there are multiple benefits that olive oil has for the skin. These benefits include:
- Olive Oil has similar anti-inflammatory effects has ibuprofen. This can help certain kinds of eczema and some kinds allergic reactions.
- Olive Oil helps protect the skin against environmental hazards such as UV rays.
- Olive Oil soothes sensitive skin like the lips.
- Olive Oil is believed to have antimicrobial benefits. “Unrefined olive oil may help treat microbial skin infections. In fact, a mixture of olive oil, honey and beeswax appears to be a successful treatment for a variety of skin conditions including eczema, psoriasis and diaper dermatitis (diaper rash)” (howstuffworks.com).
- Olive Oil hydrates extremely dry skin.
All benefits listed were found on: http://health.howstuffworks.com/skin-care/moisturizing/products/five-ways-olive-oil-helps-skin.htm
My son also suffers very dry skin so I rub the olive oil on his dry skin and it works wonders! Not to mention after I change him I always rub the excess on his dry spots and my dry hands. I just love this stuff!
Comments are welcome and appreciated!